Friday, January 02, 2004

Champions, and Free Agency

With their defeat of the Michigan Wolverines yesterday, the USC Trojans became the 2003 Eisenberg's College Football Champions, otherwise known as the ECF Championship, the greatest system for determining the champion of a playoff-less college football season that no one has ever heard of. In only it's second year of existence, Pete Carroll has gained a share of the title for a second time. Here is the all-time list of ECF Champions:

2003 USC

2002 Ohio State, Oklahoma, and USC

For all of the rules, click here ECF Championship Rules".

As for me, I've been unavailable lately due mostly to these things:

Water in my basement.
Hanukah.
My son's first birthday party.
Reading "Foul Ball", an incredible story of baseball and corporate and small town corruption in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, by the legendary Jim Bouton.
My own free agency.

With my father-in-law's own announcement of a wish for a warm weather retirement, my return to my previously adopted home of the Sunshine State is now suddenly back in play. I left there seven years ago to return to Boston to be with my ALS-stricken mother, and amazingly began a run of luck that up to then was unimaginable, and has left me with a better job, a very nice home, and a wife a son more precious than even a Red Sox World Championship (I know that's twisted. It's a joke. Sort of.) If only my Mom had gotten to see it.

Anyway, I'm now pulling my analytical skills away from the ECF and BAP and using them to find the safest neighborhoods and best schools in all of Southeast Florida. Also, I am most likely joining SABR at some point (suggeted to me by reader Joe), with the hope of getting some attention paid to the BAP thing, and some other ideas I've had. It allows me to take time to write and prepare something well, as compared to the day-to-day existence of the blog.

None of this means the death of the blog, although I must admit it is something I have considered. The thing is, there's nothing official about any of this, I don't have any sponsors to please, and I've already driven most of my readers away, so what it is going to come down to is if I want to write I will, and if I don't I won't. But I've had too much fun and met too many nice people to close the doors completely. So you may see new entries every day, or every week, or every month, or when spring rolls (mmmm, rolls) around. Who knows? Not me. I'm a lot of things, but I ain't Nostradamus.

Dave's Email

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home